Does prednisone make you sleepy?
Prednisone does not usually cause sleepiness but may make you feel dizzy, irritable with mood swings, or cause you to have trouble sleeping (insomnia). If your dose is stopped too quickly or if you take prednisone for a long period of time you may feel severely fatigued. Do not stop taking prednisone unless directed to do so by your doctor. Don't drive or operate machinery if you feel tired.
Prednisone is often given to treat inflammatory flare-ups of medical conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, ulcerative colitis, psoriasis, multiple sclerosis, asthma or severe skin rashes. You may feel sleepy or tired while you recover. If your tiredness does not improve, contact your healthcare provider.
What are the most common central nervous system side effects with prednisone?
- Feeling happy or energized
- “Jittery” or shaky feeling
- Trouble sleeping
- Mood or personality changes
- Vertigo or a feeling of “spinning”
Call your healthcare provider right away if you have: shortness of breath, severe stomach pain, blood in your stools; black or tar-colored stools, severe depression, severe changes in your personality, mood or behavior; or trouble with your eyes, vision or eye pain.
This is not all the information you need to know about prednisone for safe and effective use and does not take the place of your doctor’s directions. Review the full prednisone product and patient information and discuss this information and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- U.S. National Library of Medicine. DailyMed. Prednisone tablet. August 2021. Available at https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=03228706-92b9-43c9-8d73-c73aa124c58d&audience=consumer [Accessed May 2, 2022].
Related medical questions
- What is considered a high dose of prednisone?
- Is it OK to drink alcohol with Prednisone?
- How long can you take prednisone safely?
- How long does it take for prednisone to work?
- What's a good prednisone taper schedule?
- Do i take all 6 prednisone pills at once on the first day?
- Methylprednisolone vs Prednisone - How do they compare?
- How long does prednisone stay in your system?
- Prednisone vs Prednisolone - What's the difference?
- Does prednisone cause a rapid heart rate?
- I just took ibuprofen and prednisone, is that ok?
- Prednisone Information for Consumers
- Prednisone Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Prednisone (detailed)
Related support groups
- Prednisone (319 questions, 1,055 members)
- Sedation (58 questions, 123 members)
- Drowsiness (20 questions, 98 members)